You are here

Tell the MSP Task Force: Get rid of MSP fees sooner and replace the revenue fairly

We have a huge opportunity to make sure the government replaces all MSP fee revenue in a fair way through progressive income tax and business tax—and gets rid of the fees altogether by Budget 2019/20. Send a message to the MSP Task Force now.
Send an Email
MSP Task Force <MSPTaskForce@gov.bc.ca>
Premier John Horgan <premier@gov.bc.ca>
Health Minister Adrian Dix <hlth.minister@gov.bc.ca>
Finance Minister Carol James <FIN.minister@gov.bc.ca>
Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver <andrew.weaver.mla@leg.bc.ca>
Sign your Message

Tell the MSP Task Force: Get rid of MSP fees sooner and replace the revenue fairly

A fair way to replace MSP revenueThanks to you and tens of thousands of others, the BC government cut unfair MSP fees by 50% on January 1st and committed to getting rid of MSP fees altogether within four years.

Now we have just 9 days left to make sure that revenue is replaced in a truly fair way —and to make sure the fees are axed altogether in next year’s budget, not four years down the road.

A government-appointed MSP Task Force is seeking public input on how to replace revenues from the MSP fee cut. [1]

That means we have a huge opportunity to make sure the government replaces all MSP fee revenue in a fair way through progressive income tax and business tax—and gets rid of the fees altogether by Budget 2019/20. Send a message to the Task Force now using the tool on this page.

Big business and anti-tax advocates will surely fight against replacing the revenue through adjusted income taxes and corporate taxes.

That’s why we need your help.

If thousands of us flood the inbox of the MSP Task Force before January 31st, the government will have to consider replacing MSP fees in a way that increases fairness and improves the health of British Columbians.

Send an email through on this page to the task force demanding MSP revenues be replaced in a fair and progressive way.

In the BC Health Coalition’s submission to the MSP Task Force, we recommend the following: [2]

  • The BC government should replace the MSP revenue with a combination of personal and business taxes based on the Ontario approach and modelling conducted by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA-BC).  CCPA-BC Senior Economist Iglika Ivanova’s modelling proposes that 60 per cent of the MSP revenue be paid through personal income tax and the remaining 40 per cent be paid through business taxes (the same share that businesses already pay but spread more fairly across employers). [3]

  • The remaining 50 per cent of MSP premiums should be eliminated entirely in Budget 2019/20. This is doable. Ontario and Alberta both ended health care premiums in one budget cycle.

  • There should be no overall loss of provincial revenue as a result of scrapping MSP fees in order to ensure that public health care and other services are not negatively affected.

    Why should be MSP fees be replaced by a combination of personal and business taxes?

Income taxes represent the most progressive personal tax available for the government to use where people with high and low incomes all pay their fair share. 

Taxes fund the public services we all collectively depend on and that support our communities to thrive, including public health care.

However, if B.C. replaces MSP fees with personal income taxes alone, businesses that currently pay MSP for their employees will no longer share the cost.

When Ontario got rid of its health premium in 1990, it was reasoned the combination of personal and business taxes would be a fair reflection of the fact that both people and business benefit from public health care and have traditionally shared the costs.

Furthermore, the net savings will be greater for BC families if the MSP revenue is replaced with a combination of personal and business taxes.

Use our email tool on this page to send the MSP Task Force your thoughts and ask for MSP fees be replaced in a way that increases fairness in society and improves the health of British Columbians.

Sources

[1] MSP Task Force website - https://engage.gov.bc.ca/msptaskforce/

[2] BC Health Coalition Submission to MSP Task Forcehttp://bit.ly/bchcmspsubmission

[3] BC should eliminate the MSP. Here are two better options. Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives - http://bit.ly/ccpabcmsp