Strengthening public health care for all
The BCHC is a democratic, non-profit, non-partisan network that brings organizations and 600,000+ individuals together across B.C. to strengthen and improve public health care for all.
Together we advocate for evidence-based improvements to our public health care system, stimulate public education on health care issues, and drive positive change to our health care system through campaigns across the province.
Our Campaigns and Advocacy
We work on campaigns that strengthen public health care.
Our current work includes:
- Intervening in a constitutional challenge to prevent the owner of a for-profit clinic from dismantling the laws that keep Canadian health care public
- Calling on the BC Government to ban for-profit plasma collection
- Asking the BC Government to scrap unfair MSP fees
- Calling on the Federal Government to make it easier for communities to open life-saving safe-consumption sites
In the past, we have:
- Advocated for the creation of the office of the Seniors advocate
- Collaborated with the CCPA and the BCRTA to organize on home care and residential care conferences and speakers panels
- Collaborated with national health organizations to welcome the provincial and federal health ministers to Vancouver, encouraging them to "put the heart back in health care"
- Pushed the federal parties to prioritize health care in the 2015 Federal Election. We even ran am awesome vote promotion event with Check Your Head.