The BC Health Coalition joins partners across the country in calling for the federal and provincial/territorial governments to work together and urgently create national standards to improve LTC.
We are asking Ottawa for ongoing and sufficient federal funding for provincial LTC programs that meet national standards, including:
- Quality: Create standards for a staffing program that increases the staffing levels and meets the relational care needs of residents, including minimum care standards in each province. Quality working conditions mean quality care.
- Accountability: Improve transparency on how public funds are used and allow tracking for how funding provided has been spent to improve quality, oversight and access.
- Take profit out of LTC: Enforce standards of quality and accountability to severely curtail profit incentives and eliminate options to use public funds to generate profit. Invest in new non-profit beds.
BC Health Coalition Virtual Action
Our local action will be livestreamed on the BC Health Coalition Facebook page. Join us for:
- The unveiling of a visual display in honour lives lost in B.C.’s LTC facilities;
- Video testimonies from BC residents highlighting their LTC stories; and
- BCHC spokespersons sharing why we need LTC standards now
How you can help
- Submit a 1-2 minute video testimonial to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 27. See our video guidelines here.
- On April 27, lay a virtual flower in honour of lives lost in LTC. Post a flower on social media using the hashtag #LTCstandardsNOW. Don’t forget to tag your elected representatives!
More details to follow. RSVP on our Facebook event page for the latest updates.